This is the official Website of the District Administration of Thanjavur, State Government of Tamil Nadu (India)
Contents Owned, Maintained and Updated by the District Administration, Thanjavur.
For further queries send Email to email@example.com
The Raja’s Chattrams were founded and endowed in the first instance with the intention of helping pilgrims on their way to Rameswaram. It was also understood that all travellers should be assisted for which free meals, or, if desired, uncooked food , are distributed twice daily to all bona fide traveller, and separate acooomondation is provided for different castes and classes.
Thus between the years 1743 and 1837, The Maratta Rulers of Tanjore founded a number of charitable institutions called ‘Chattrams‘ for the accommodation of travellers on the main road to Rameswaram. Most of these chattrams are named after ladies of the palace eg- a mother, wife or sister or of a favorite of some raja’s seraglio. The names of the twenty chattrams under the management of the District Board during 1907-908 are as follows